Thursday, June 2, 2011

Tomato Plant growing in Broad Ripple




There is a tomato plant growing through the cracks in the sidewalk on the Broad Ripple strip. Have you seen it?! It is growing nestled in next to the Ossip Optometry shop and across from the bus stop at Broad Ripple Ave. and Carrollton Ave.



I was walking down the sidewalk this morning heading towards the cafĂ© for a meeting and somehow, out of nowhere, this green, leafy beauty caught my eye. I stared at it for a while, trying to figure out if really was a tomato plant and pondering how it might have found it is way to this foreign territory. Although, I had to grin as I thought…perhaps this is not so foreign after all.
At the bus stop, stood a young man with a bike waiting for the bus, and a hesitated only slightly before spontaneously asking him, “Do you know what a tomato plant looks like?” He responded slowly, “Yes, I think so. Why?” And I responded, “I think there is one growing through the cracks in the concrete over there.”

He takes a look and steps back. “I think it IS a tomato actually, hmm.” I ask him. “I’m trying to figure out how such a thing happens, any ideas?” He responds, “Well I wouldn’t eat a tomato off that plant.” And I ask why and he says, “I’m picturing some drunken kid puking up some pizza on the side of the sidewalk over there (we were kiddy-corner to ZA Pizzeria) and a tomato seed in the sauce somehow ended up in the soil deep beneath the soil.” I think I might be embellishing his response, just a tid, but I have to admit…I never would have thought of something so fantastically simple and crass.

So that is my highlight of the day, week…month…year?! I knew there was a reason I brought my camera with me today.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=bvre&cp=16&gs_id=2m&xhr=t&q=broad+ripple+tomato&pf=p&sclient=psy&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=broad+ripple+tom&aq=0&aqi=g1g-v1g-b2&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=97eede9ed711c932&biw=1152&bih=723

    Don´t lose that tomato! The last one they found like that became a world-wide favorite!

    Yanqui Mike
    Buenos Aires

    ReplyDelete